- Nearly two-fifths of Black Friday dollars were spent online this year, up 11.5 points from 2020 and 18.7 points from 2019.
- Amazon was the top Black Friday retailer for the second year in a row, capturing 17.7% of Black Friday dollars, growing its lead over #2 Walmart, whose share declined slightly.
- Target also gained share this Black Friday versus last, growing share in both their online and in-store divisions.
The cyber shift continued on Black Friday 2021.
Black Friday 2021 looked different across consumer groups.
- Amazon was the top Black Friday retailer for all racial and ethnic groups, but was nearly tied with Costco among Asian shoppers and tied with Walmart for Hispanic/Latino shoppers. Black / African American consumers showed the largest share growth year-over-year at Amazon, gaining 7 points of share in 2021.
- Walmart was the top retailer for Gen Z shoppers on Black Friday, while Amazon held the top spot for all other generations. Both Walmart and Target’s elevated share numbers with Gen Z were driven by their in-store divisions.
- Online shopping was the most prevalent among High Income shoppers, who spent 44% of their Black Friday dollars online. These shoppers also saw the most growth online this year over last, gaining 14 points of share, compared to Low Income shoppers who only gained 6 points online.
Full Cyber Weekend insights coming soon!
Check back later this week for a complete view of Cyber Weekend from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday. Dive into share insights, top retailers, in-store vs. online sales splits, and added consumer context including generation, income level, and race & ethnicity.
Additional Content You May Like
2021 Cyber Weekend Survey Recap
What did shoppers have to say about their Cyber Weekend experience?
2021 Black Friday Promo Review
How did brands & retailers promote their products leading up to Black Friday?
Elf on an Empty Shelf: Product Shortages & Holiday Shopping
How are consumers adjusting their holiday shopping plans in light of these expected shortages?
Looking for custom holiday insights for your brand or category?
Reach out to our team to learn more about how your business is performing this holiday season. Who are your buyers, where are they shopping, and how are your competitors advertising & promoting their products? Numerator is here to bring you the fastest, most comprehensive insights to stuff your stocking this holiday season.