2021 sales continue strong performance, elevated vs pre-pandemic levels in most channels
- Weeks 10 & 11 vs. year ago show a strong over-index in non-essential channels and under-index in core channels, correlating to last year’s stock-up and lockdown period. These same weeks vs. 2 years ago show more stable, positive trends
- Gas & Convenience sales rise above year-ago levels for the first time in February, likely tied to increased travel and activity as reopening efforts increase
- Online sales continue to boom, roughly 1.7x above 2020 levels and 2x above 2019, even as consumers return to more in-store behaviors
Trips per household up versus 2019
- Trips per household versus 2020 see fluctuations in recent weeks tied to last year’s stock-up and lockdown period
- Most in-store channels still seeing fewer trips per household as consumers limit exposure, but begin slow return to year-ago levels
- Home Improvement and Online consistently seeing more trips vs. prior years as consumers spend more time at home
Spend per trip remains elevated vs. prior years across channels
- Spend per trip in recent weeks slightly above levels seen during last year’s stock-up period
- Consumers continue to fill their baskets to sustain at-home consumption, with bigger baskets vs. 2020 and 2019, a dynamic we expect to soften some as consumers return to "normal" behaviors
- Online order sizes up slightly from 2020, but down vs 2019, potentially driven by more frequent, smaller online orders
Overall Households shopping flat vs. 2020 and 2019
- Similarly to sales, non-essential channels see significant over-index in households shopping versus year ago, while essential channels see an under-index. Trends versus two years ago show more stable increases
- Households shopping online up over 30% vs. 2020, 50% vs. 2019
- Home Improvement, Pet, Liquor and Club channels all seeing more households shopping in 2021 vs. prior years
Want to Know More?
Check out additional COVID-19 consumer tracking and reopening content linked below or in our resources tab.
Monthly Consumer Sentiment Survey
As vaccine efforts increase, how do consumers feel and what are they up to?
The Impact of COVID-19 on Consumer Behavior
How has consumer behavior changed in light of COVID-19?
COVID Buyer Habit Index
Which new behaviors are likely to stick in our post-COVID routines?