88% of Consumers Plan to Celebrate Mother's Day, 79% Father's Day, Numerator Reports
44% Buying Flowers for Mom, 38% Buying Gift Cards for Dad; Alcohol Twice as Popular on Father’s Day
CHICAGO, May 9, 2023 (GlobeNewswire) - Numerator, a data and tech company serving the market research space, has released new survey insights on consumer shopping and celebration plans for upcoming holidays, including Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. While a greater number of consumers plan to celebrate Mother’s Day than Father’s Day, more consumers plan to buy gifts for Father’s Day, with gift cards topping the list.
Consumer Sentiment Findings:
- More consumers plan to celebrate Mother’s Day than Father’s Day. Nearly 9 in 10 consumers (88%) say they will celebrate Mother’s Day, compared to 79% for Father’s Day.
- Besides gift giving, the top celebration plans for Mother’s Day include attending or hosting parties (31%), going out for food / drinks (30%), and cooking / baking (23%). Father’s Day plans include grilling or barbecuing (42%), cooking / baking (34%), and going out for food / drinks (27%).
- Three-quarters of moms prefer to celebrate with family time – compared to half of dads. For Mother’s Day, 74% of moms (and those who identify as mother figures) said they would like to celebrate with quality time with family, compared to 51% of dads (and father figures) who said the same. Only 11% of moms and 7% of dads said they preferred alone time to celebrate their respective holiday.
- More consumers plan to buy gifts for Father’s Day than Mother’s Day. 57% of Father’s Day celebrators plan to purchase gifts, compared to 52% for Mother’s Day.
- Gift cards will account for more than one-third of all gifts. While flowers and plants are the most popular gift choice for Mother’s Day (44% of celebrators), gift cards are a close second at 38% of consumers. For Father’s Day, gift cards top the list, with 35% planning to buy.
- Alcohol is nearly twice as likely to be purchased for Father’s Day than Mother’s Day. 27% of celebrators plan to purchase alcoholic beverages for Father’s Day, compared to 14% of Mother’s Day celebrators.
- Among those planning to buy alcohol for Father’s Day, the top choices are beer (61% planning to buy), spirits (37%), and wine (33%). For Mother’s Day, the top choices are wine (58%), beer (36%), and champagne (25%).
- Around one-third expect inflation to impact their holiday celebrations and shopping. 34% of Mother’s Day celebrators expect rising prices to impact their plans, compared to 32% for Father’s Day.
- To save money, consumers say they will buy items on sale (43% of Mother’s Day and 42% of Father’s Day celebrators), use more coupons (21% Mother’s Day, 23% Father’s Day), and prepare budget-friendly foods (19% Mother’s Day, 22% Father’s Day). For both holidays, 32% of celebrators said they will not take any cost-saving measures.
The 2023 Q2 Holiday Intentions survey was fielded to 2,650 consumers in April 2023.
Numerator is a data and technology company bringing speed and scale to market research. Numerator blends first-party data from over 1 million US households with advanced technology to provide consumer understanding for the market research industry. Headquartered in Chicago, IL, Numerator has 2,000 employees worldwide and 80 of the top 100 CPG brands are Numerator clients.